Mallam Yusuf Olaolu Ali (SAN)
“It is my belief that all those who have been specially blessed by God, owe a duty to our society to intervene materially in all facets of our national life; like education, health and infrastructure. This is the underlying philosophy behind the little effort I have made in donating hostels to two (2) of our universities, ICT Centre in a Faculty of Law and other such efforts”
FULL TEXT OF A SPEECH DELIVERED BY YUSUF ALI (SAN) AT THE OFFICIAL HANDING OVER CEREMONY OF THE YUSUF ALI TRAUMA CENTRE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN TEACHING HOSPITAL ON THE 21st OF SEPTEMBER, 2012
All thanks and praises are due to Allah, the Sustainer, the Cherisher, the Giver, the All-knowing and All-sufficient, for directing my mind to the conceptualization and execution of this trauma centre.
The natural question to ask is: what is the concern of a lawyer, in undertaking to build, equip and donate a trauma centre? The answers are the following:
- A personal tragedy, eight (8) years ago, opened my eyes widely to the inadequacy of our health facilities.
- It is only fair that I show my gratitude to Allah, by giving back to the society, part of His material endowments on me over-time.
- It is apparent that government alone, at whatever level, cannot provide all the health needs of the citizens, thus the need for personal and institutional provision of basic health facilities.
- It is my hope that this little effort will ginger and galvanise better endowed persons, to also put their minds into contributing to the material well-being of our heath institutions.
- I have come to realize that a trauma centre is a critical component in the general emergency service of a teaching hospital, especially in the areas of serious head or spinal cord injuries and cardiac related fractions.
- Lastly, it is a way to express my thank to Allah, not only for empowering me to be able to do this little project, but also as a mark of appreciation for His favours in all years on earth, so far.
It is my belief that all those who have been specially blessed by God, owe a duty to our society to intervene materially in all facets of our national life; like education, health and infrastructure. This is the underlying philosophy behind the little effort I have made in donating hostels to two (2) of our universities, ICT Centre in a Faculty of Law and other such efforts.
I am, therefore, using this opportunity to make a clarion call on other patriots, who are blessed by God, to choose areas of intervention materially, in our health institutions all over the country.
May I express my profound gratitude to all that are present at this important ceremony, and to ask for your assistance in generously giving money to the Alanu Trust Fund of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, of which I am luck to be the chairman.
The Fund, as the name implies, is a special fund that is used to intervene in assisting the financial needs of indigent patients in this hospitals.
I cannot end this speech without appreciating our dynamic Governor Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed, for his kindness in accepting to unveil the commemorative plaque of this trauma centre. I equally salute the Chief Medical Doctor, Dr. Waheed Olatnwo and his able team for all the assistance rendered in the sooth delivery of this project.
I thank my children, my colleagues in Ghalib Chambers, the Non-lawyers in Ghalib Chambers and all others, too numerous to mention, who, by words of encouragement, assisted in the execution of this project. The members of the fourth estate of the realm cannot be left out in the expression of my gratitude.
Ultimately, all gratitude is due to Allah
To the glory of Allah and the service of humanity, I herby invite our amiable Governor, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed, to give his speech and unveil the plaque and to officially open this trauma centre.